A Romantic Encounter- The Diva's Audience

She descended the staircase artfully; her red designer dress was a masterpiece of fabric, probably D&G looking at the folds of fabric on the dress. She wasn’t as tall as I expected her to be, behind her, two security personnel were keeping a watchful eye on the crowd, just in case.

The resort she stayed in was top of the class in this island, where only the elites come for holiday, so the risk of her having fans thronging the venue would be out of question, especially with the mere fact that her visit to Penang was not publicized in the media, unlike her KL visit.

‘Ms Khan’, I smiled and extended her my hand. Felt rather awkward as my ears are so used to hearing Mr Khan.

‘It’s a pleasure to meet you Nexus, and please refer to me as Safya or we will be calling out the same surname with the alternate of miss and mister’, she flashed her million dollar smile and put me to ease.

We got acquainted during our walk to the dining hall. The unique fact about Safya, being a superstar, she was extremely casual. The way she walks, talks, laughs and jokes made me mistakably wonder if I actually have known her for years. There was no pressure to impress or pretend to be someone else, I was naturally myself.

dining hall We reached the dining hall and took a seat by the window overlooking the luscious garden. A separate table was set for her security personnel and when one of the guys advised her that the distance was rather far, she laughingly asked him if I looked like a guy who’d kill her?

It just amazed me on how she dodges the comment misconception of a superstar, ‘I’m curious to know this…’

‘What is it?’ she asked

‘You know, throughout my years of dealing with celebrities, I have seen celebrities who gives themselves way too much credit and pretends like they’re God’s gift to mankind. I mean, cross the border of into Thailand or Singapore and they’re not even a familiar name but here in home country they think they’re one-level-below-God! While you on the other hand, just amaze me, so what’s up with that?’

‘Nexus, being a celebrity doesn’t make me any better than anyone else, yes I might have fans and all, but it doesn’t grant me the right to behave in such a manner, besides, it’s all about the upbringing, my dad brought us up with different virtues and principles. There are many others out there who are doing much greater things in life and they’re often forgotten, people like doctors who saves lives or soldiers who sacrifice their lives defending the country, they are the heroes’.

With that sentence, she gained my respect. A person who has a character of her own, she does not sway or pretend to be someone else to proof her worth. It takes much more than virtues to be humble amidst the grandeur life throw your way.

During dinner, we spoke for hours and the more I got to know Safya, the more I was wanting to get the account, not for the business but for the opportunity to represent someone like her would actually be an honor.

‘What made you want to consider Plan B’, I had to know this.

‘You might not believe this, but it’s because of you’

‘Me?’ she was right when she assumed that I won’t believe it.

‘Yes! I read your interview and there was a portion that you mentioned that Plan B is a passion, not merely a company but a driving force of your life. The big names in the industry might have all the expertise in the world, but they operate as a company, without the passion. I need someone who doesn’t take his job as a job, but as a part of his life’, she smiled knowing that I was still in shock.

‘Wow’ was all I could say as I found myself speechless. It was a proud moment for me.

‘Hmmm, would that entitle me to a special discount if Plan B becomes my official publicist for Asia?’ she laughed while making way for the waitress to fill her glass.

‘We might consider that but on the other hand, you believe in helping the needy right?’

‘Oh please, I did my homework too Nexus and you don’t fall into that category’, she sliced her meal in smaller pieces and winked as she took her first bite… ‘ummm, delicious!’

The rest of the evening was filled with so much laughter that I could safely say that we really did get acquainted. It was her sense of humor that amazed me, and her energy was reflected in her conversation and body gestures.

Dessert

‘Oooohhh, dessert time!’ she clutched her hands together and delightfully awaited the waitress to set her plate down and thanked the waitress.

‘You love dessert don’t you?’

‘Of course, who doesn’t?’

‘So I presume you love chocolates?’ I asked her

‘Oh yes, especially LeFregu Checo, they are to-die-for!’ she exclaimed.

‘Hmm, what about Godiva?’

‘They’re good, but Godiva has this bitter after-taste that lingers on’

‘A diva who’s a chocolate connoisseur, that’s rare’

‘A girl who simply loves chocolates, that’s not that rare though’ she scooped her dessert and the joy was reflected in her eyes.

After much persuasion for her to have a second helping of dessert and she insisting that she needs to watch her weight, we ended our dinner meeting and I walked her back to the grand stairs.
staircase

‘It was truly a pleasure meeting you Nexus’

‘The honor’s mine ma’am and I look forward to hearing from you’

‘Certainly, it’s not always that I have the opportunity to dine with someone who could handle my antics’, she said as she leaned in for a casual hug and we parted.

Driving back, I was wondering if Plan B will be her pick for official publicist but simply knowing her personally made all the difference. I was planning to impress her but on the other hand, I was enlisted into her ever-growing fan list.

I called Orion and shared my experience. Every element of her character was awe-inspiring and I consider myself truly fortunate to have been her audience. A diva that enchants and mesmerizes, that’s Safya Khan.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘Datuk’ Shahrukh Khan Detained for 2 Hours in United States… So???

The Journey of a Two Digit Begins with Three Digits

Saffron Hills - Our Dream Home In The Making...